Sustainability at Hawke's Bay Marathon
At New Zealand Sotheby's International Realty Hawke’s Bay Marathon, we’re doing what we can to protect the beautiful region and environment we are lucky to play in!
As part of this, we are implementing the following initiatives, and there are a few things we’d like your help with.
- We have partnered with Closed Loop, who are leaders in event sustainability and landfill diversion. They will be providing sustainable waste management and cleaning on race weekend.
- All the materials collected at the event will be hand-sorted to ensure they get to their correct destination to be either recycled, upcycled, or composted.
- All organic waste (including approx. 7000 banana skins) will be composted at BioRich Awatoto.
- Our water and electrolyte cups are a mix of RPET recyclable (meaning they can be recycled again and again), PE recyclable, and PLA Biodegradable.
- We’re providing you with a flyer-free reusable race bag (these make great gym gear bags).
- There are free water refill stations around the finish venue for you to top up your water bottle.
- We have requested our suppliers not to provide athlete material (e.g. medals and bags) individually wrapped in plastic
- We have requested all food vendors supply their tasty treats in compostable packaging.
- The free The Apple Press juice you can collect at the finish line is in a recyclable bottle, and a special bin is available next to their stall for these.
- We’ve replaced 95% of plastic cable ties to secure signage with re-usable bungee cords.
- Any unclaimed clothing and shoes left behind will be donated to a local charity.
- Where possible we have partnered with local suppliers and contractors to reduce carbon emissions.
How you can help us:
- Pack a keep-cup and water bottle in your drop bag.
- Take care not to drop any litter (like gel wrappers) on the course. You can dispose of these at the Aid Station bins.
- At the finish venue, take care to put your rubbish in the correct bin. These will be clearly signed.
- Take advantage of our race day transport options and leave your car at home.